Nothing says summer in Western New York than Chiavetta’s BBQ – whether you attend one of their BBQ events or prepare you own! There is nothing better than going to one of their events with the large grills smoking with BBQ chicken! The aroma travels for miles! Our local churches and various not-for-profit groups raise money through a Chiavetta’s barbecue event. Typically you are treated to a wonderful home-made potato salad or macaroni salad as part of the meal! It really is a win-win situation since the NFP is raising money and you are treated to a great dinner. Recently I had some of their wonderful chicken at a graduation party where Chiavetta’s dropped off a box of their chicken. That is such a great idea because if there are leftovers you have it for dinner the next day. Plus your guests feel honored that you serve them the best chicken!

Chiavetta’s is a family-owned business for over 50-years. Check out their website to learn more about their products they sell and upcoming events. To learn more about their family history refer to the article in Business First. This is a wonderful article as it provides information how they started back in 1951 by hosting chicken barbecues at weddings and banquets. This created a demand for their BBQ sauce where people would bring their own mayonnaise jars with steel lids to purchase their sauce. Over time they started to bottle and sell the sauce plus introduced new products. Over the decades they have evolved to a very successful business.

Greg and I use Chiavetta’s barbecue sauce to make our own BBQ chicken. We have been making this recipe for at least 10-years. And we never get tired of BBQ chicken! The Chiavetta’s sauce adds great flavor and keeps the chicken moist while grilling. The only change we have made over the years is to sprinkle Montreal chicken season while grilling. Other than that, why change something good that works! We like to serve with Grilled Potatoes in Foil Packets. Both recipes take 45-minutes to grill so it is perfect to pair them together. Plus it gives you time to enjoy a beverage or glass of wine while dinner is cooking on the grill.

Ingredients I like to use….
4 bone-in chicken breasts with skin
Chiavetta’s Barbecue Marinade
Montreal chicken seasoning, or your favorite seasoning
Your favorite BBQ sauce
Non-Stick spray, optional

A few timesaving tips I hope will help you….
You can purchase Chiavetta’s Barbecue Marinade through Amazon.com or through their website . Marinating your chicken before grilling is important for both flavor and ensuring the chicken retains its moisture. You can spray the grill with non-stick spray; but if you do not flip the chicken too soon, the chicken should not stick to the grill. Depending upon how well seasoned your grill is will help determine if you need to spray with non-stick spray.

Your grilling time will depend upon the size of chicken plus the temperature of your grill. Weather conditions will affect the grill’s temperature. On a hot day, you may need to adjust the temperature controls so the grill does not get too hot. On a cold or windy day you may need to increase the temperature controls to obtain the proper heat.

Here is how I prepare the meal… but feel free to experiment….
Marinade your chicken for a few hours in Chiavetta’s Barbecue Marinade. Preheat your grill. Place the chicken on the grill, skin-side down and grill until golden brown and slightly charred, about 10 – 15 minutes. Continue turning your chicken over every 10 – 15 minutes ending with the skin side up.

Before the last turn, sprinkle the Montreal chicken seasoning to the bone-side of the chicken. Turn the chicken for the final time and shake some Montreal chicken seasoning and then spread BBQ sauce over the skin side. Grill another 10 – 15 minutes to ensure the BBQ sauce caramelizes on the chicken. You can add a second coat of BBQ sauce halfway through the final grilling time. Serve the chicken with your favorite side dish and extra BBQ sauce!

19 thoughts on “BBQ Grilled Chicken

1. Kathie says:

Loved the BBQ Chicken! The different levels of flavor were so good and the chicken
    was so moist. Will definitely be using this recipe going forward

Thanks Kathie! I am glad you enjoyed this recipe and that you will make it again!

Reblogged this on Realistic Cooking Ideas for Busy People and commented:

This is a favorite in Western New York – Grilled Chicken with Chiavetta’s Barbecue Marinade! I made this over the Memorial Day weekend as it always kicks off grilling season for Greg and me. The chicken needs some time to marinade and about 30 – 45 minutes to grill depending upon thickness. Currently, this is a popular recipe through the search engines as it is getting a lot of views. I hope you enjoy it!

3. sjerickson says:

This looks so fantastic! Can’t wait to try it.

It is awesome! That is about all I can say. :) Except this time I made a Bourbon dipping sauce that was a great addition. I still need to share that recipe.

4. kanzensakura says:

This looks so good. I am going exploring for that marinade. I wish I had some now. Do you thik it would also work with pork?

This particular marinade is made for chicken so it would not work with pork. I usually use a Teriyaki honey marinade for my center cut pork chops. Chiavettas BBQ marinade can start to “cook” boneless chicken if you are not careful. I prefer it with bone-in chicken since you need a stronger marinade. It does keep the chicken moist while grilling.

I should mention you can purchase Chiavetta BBQ marinade through Amazon.

1. kanzensakura says:

Just ordered a 32 ox. bottle. I do a lot of grilled chicken and don’t always want the red sauce on it s this sounds really good.

It is a really good marinade. A few minutes before the chicken is done we then add a BBQ sauce to let it caramelize a few minutes. We like Sweet Baby Ray’s. It looks really nice, but we don’t eat the skin, ha ha ha. Also this time I made a bourbon dipping sauce – I need to share that recipe.

3. kanzensakura says:

We have one here locally, John Boy and Billy’s. It is not as sweet as Baby Rays, although this marinade would probably cut that some. I grew up with NC BBQ which is, on the eastern part of the state, made with a vinegar, salt, pepper, pepper flake, tiny bit of sugar mop on the meat while smoking and then sprinkled on. This is the bbq that goes with that cake you make that we call Pig Pickin’ Cake. Often at a pig pickin’, a whole hog or suckling pig is long roasted over hickory coals and wood until tender. the meat is mopped with the sauce – it helps cut down on the grease of the meat. After it is done, meat is pulled off and some chopped, some stays pulled. After all is said and done, folks will stand around with their beverage of choice and “pick” pieces of the meat off and get all mellow and chatty. Some people add a bit of ketchup to the vinegar sauce, but not much.

You have such interesting stories! I will be interested in hearing what you think of Chiavetta’s BBQ marinade and if it is similar to what you have used. When Chiavetta’s does their bbqs for local fund raising they mop the marinade on the chicken to keep it moist during grilling. I prefer to actually marinade my bone-in chicken for a few hours in it for best flavor.

5. kanzensakura says:

Mopping is good. doing both is great! I ike to mop meat I grill but that’s what I grew up with. Pick pickin’s are so much fun – always a big crowd of folks, kids, dogs…tons of food that always gets scarfed up – usually an all day affair and somebody always either has a local band to play or people bring their instruments and jam and at the worst, lots of loud recorded music. and dance dance dance. Lots of fun.and picking off the last crispy bits is the best part. I’m looking forward to the arrival of the sauce and giving it a taste.

Pick Pickin’s sounds like a lot of fun. You should write an e-book telling a story or adventure about attending one. It does sound like fun!

7. kanzensakura says:

I may do a post later on and post some recipes. thanks for the suggestion.

Looking forward to it! :)

9. kanzensakura says:

Please do share this recipe. I am always looking for something different.

I definitely will share it soon. Once I finish my Mother’s Day series. :)

Now it is time for us to chat and it is your turn! What is on your mind? I am listening.....

mihran Kalaydjian

“I'm a success today because I had a friend who believed in me and I didn't have the heart to let him down.”

How the Cookie Crumbles

An irreverant view of life after SIXTY-FIVE

Visualized Recipes

Logical Cooking

Chitra's Healthy Kitchen

Recipes for healthy living

AngelineM's Blog

A little BIT OF THE EVERY DAY............A good writer is basically a story teller, not a scholar or a redeemer of mankind. - Isaac Bashevis Singer

Sourcerer

Music - Comics - Television - Photos

Miscellaneous Musings of a Middle-Aged Mind

A creative outlet for Norm 2.0

dobetteralways

Welcome to the Monkey House

Part Time Monster

Nerd. Girl. Monster(s)

Container Chronicles

my favorite things in one favorite spot

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,107 other followers