Greg and I enjoy grilling and making quick and delicious recipes! We make this recipe when we have a bit more time since it takes about 45-minutes to grill – but it is worth every minute! I have lost track how many years we have been making this recipe – but I would guess about 10-years. It is one of those timeless recipes that you never get tired of. Over the years, I made two changes to the recipe. The first was to substitute Lawry’s seasoned salt for regular salt because it adds more flavor. The second is to substitute a sweet onion for a regular onion to add more sweetness.

If you want to grill your potatoes for dinner this is the recipe. It is easy to make and is easy cleanup since we use no-stick Reynolds Wrap! We know it is grilling season when we make our first potato foil packets! Grilled potatoes are a wonderful side dish that pairs nicely with steak, chicken, or center-cut pork chops. Most often we will make this recipe when we make our BBQ Grilled Chicken since they both take 45-minutes! So pour yourself a glass of a wine and relax while dinner is on the grill. The BBQ chicken will require a little attention while it is grilling and the potatoes require none except put them on the grill.

I am trying new recipes to make with the no-stick Reynolds Wrap since it is such an easy way to grill. Just throw away the foil and no frying pan or other pots to wash by hand! Thank you for stopping by and let me know if you have a version of foil packet potatoes!

Ingredients
2 medium sized potatoes, washed and cubed
2 tbsp butter, sliced
1 medium sweet onion, diced
Lawry’s Seasoned salt
Pepper
Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil
Nonstick cooking spray

Tips
You can use a non-stick aluminum foil to avoid having to spray with nonstick cooking spray. You can add more or less butter depending upon how brown you want the potatoes. Depending upon the size of your potatoes, you could make four smaller servings.

Preparation
Preheat grill for medium heat. Take two pieces of heavy-duty aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Divide the potatoes and sweet onions and place equally on the two pieces of foil. Place 1 tablespoon of butter on each and then top generously with seasoned salt and pepper.

Fold the foil tightly and place on grill for about 45 minutes or until done. Serve with BBQ Chicken for a wonderful dinner! Enjoy!

32 thoughts on “Grilled Potatoes in Foil Packets

1. itsetosan says:

Lovely…..i like.

Thank you. I hope you enjoy the recipe.

2. lisacrispin says:

We made something like this last night, but just cooked the potatoes on the veggie grill thingie, didn’t think to wrap in foil. It took a long time for them to get done even tho we microwaved them some first. I think the foil would help them cook faster.

Lisa – we grill our potatoes for 45-minutes. But it takes that long for bone-in chicken to grill. And we make the two recipes together. You might be able to grill the potatoes less time or increase the temperature a bit. I use non-stick foil so it is perfect! I like lots of sweet onion and a tablespoon of butter which I think helps steam them a bit. We are experimenting with some other recipes using foil – hopefully I will have some new recipes to post!

1. dawnspitfire says:

Oh YES on the butter!
        EVOO’s would be great too!

EVOO sounds good!

3. fgassette says:

You have some wonderful meal items in your post. Thank you for visiting my blog.

BE ENCOURAGED! BE BLESSED!

Thank you! I loved the pictures on your blog!!

4. dawnspitfire says:

Yumm….I’ve made these (and now my kids do for their family) for 40 years. Never occurred to me to post. Glad you did! ♡ Very helpful for others & I couldnt , too lax in details…meaning I don’t measure, time, etc..
    Ppl can always tweak to personal prefs in tastes, like garlic. …rosemary, sea salt, etc…

Yes, this is a great recipe to add your own personal touches! I also like the clean up on this recipe – just throw out the foil!

5. Victoria says:

This reminds me of the ‘hobo’ dinners that my kids and I used to do over campfire coals. This will be a must this grilling season. A nice share!

They are great to make and fun if you are making over a campfire! I love the cleanup – just throw out the foil. I am going to try a few different variations this summer by adding different ingredients.

6. Lilly Sue says:

Yum! I like this fun and easy idea :) Thanks!

They are so good! I am going to make a slightly different variation this weekend. If they come out good I will post.

1. Lilly Sue says:

I’m excited!

7. I used to look forward to camp every year for this very reason:) I loved the grilled potato packets:) Thank you for the memories:)

Nothing like grilled food! Everything is so much better. Do you use a charcoal grill? We have both a charcoal grill and a gas grill.

1. Neither… we used the fire pit in the ground.. :) real fire..LOL:)

There is nothing better than a real fire!! :)

8. I love potatoes on the grill! A deffinite summer must. I love them with melted cheese and bits of bacon. We usually put them into an aluminum baking dish and then onto the grill. Easy clean-up afterward. :-)

Anything that is quick clean up works for me! I love grill potatoes too!

9. pierrmorgan says:

Thanks for the like, Bernice. These potatoes look yummy…(but I’m allergic to the nightshades)…I’m thinking sweet potatoes cooked like this would be really good.

I would think the sweet potatoes would be great cooked in foil. :) Thanks for stopping by.

10. Hi, Bernice. You just happen to visit someone who enjoys cooking and trying different recipes… and eating, of course. Thanx for your culinary tips… and for visiting one of my sites. Have a wonderful day!

Thank you for stopping by! I am always searching for new recipes and am often inspired by our travels. I do a little less new recipes in the summer since it is so short. But have been posting a few cocktails as I am trying different martinis – which is a lot of fun!

11. 2ndhalfolife says:

I tried to roast sweet potato slices in the oven today while I cooked some acorn squash in there…well that didn’t go over too well. They came out more like sweet potato burn chips. Ha! They could have come out a lot sooner. Oh well. Good thought. I ate most of them anyway….

I never baked sweet potatoes in slices; but we have grilled them in the summer. I shake them with oil and herbs, then place on a hot grill. They come out really good on the grill. Sweet potatoes are really good – I need to make some soon!!

12. jbcamera says:

Can’t wait to try this!

I hope you enjoy it! Easy to make and delish! I love the caramelized onions and potatoes that get a bit brown/burnt. Plus easy clean up – just throw away the foil!

Reblogged this on Realistic Cooking Ideas for Busy People and commented:

I thought I would reblog this recipe for the start of grilling season for many of us in the states. This is one of my more popular recipes during this time of the year. Easy to make, is delicious, and easy to clean up! Enjoy!

Now it is time for us to chat and it is your turn! What is on your mind? I am listening.....

Chitra's Healthy Kitchen

Recipes for healthy living

AngelineM's Blog

A little BIT OF THE EVERY DAY............A good writer is basically a story teller, not a scholar or a redeemer of mankind. - Isaac Bashevis Singer

Sourcerer

Music - Comics - Television - Photos

Miscellaneous Musings of a Middle-Aged Mind

A creative outlet for Norm 2.0

dobetteralways

Welcome to the Monkey House

Part Time Monster

Nerd. Girl. Monster(s)

Container Chronicles

my favorite things in one favorite spot

Sinfully Tempting

- Food so good, you won't be able to resist!

alifemoment

Colourful Food and Lifestyle

Cindy Knoke

Kasih

Bicara hati dan minda

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,067 other followers